Thursday

Bits of randomness

This post made me sigh happily. Thanks, cuileann!

Quick updates, because it's late-ish and piles of schoolwork abound...

Friend Amy ended up unexpectedly going for surgery this past Tuesday, a week earlier then expected. Everything went really well, though, THANK GOD (and I mean that quite literally!). She's back home and doing well, recovery-wise, and is back to teasing me which must mean she's feeling better :)

Keep praying as we wait for the results of the biopsy.....


College = writing. UNBELIEVABLE AMOUNTS of it. Holy stinking guacomole. I haven't gone to bed before midnight in at least two weeks.

Cafeterias are not quite as fantastic as I'd hoped. I'd always thought it was a bummer that, being homeschooled since birth, I never really got the chance to experience cafeteria life. I ate out of my fridge at my dining room table each day. Wahoo. How exciting. So, when I started taking college classes this year, one of the perks -- to little sheltered me, at least -- was access to the cafeteria.
I've learned that really, it's a bunch of overpriced fried grease. That's it. And it all gets old rather quickly. I'm officially sick of pizza, mysterious pasta dishes, salty soups and chicken tenders. And whatever you do, DON'T eat the "soft" pretzels, because the word "soft" is a FLAT-OUT LIE. You know you're in trouble when your "soft" pretzel has fossilized and an archaeology major at the next table informs you that it's probably been around since circa 5000 B.C.
So, because of all this, last night I was found eating -- are you ready for this? -- a salad. Yep. Green stuff and all (for those who don't know, I happen to severely dislike most green foods. Lettuce being one of the worst offenders, as the word, to me, is bascially synonymous with the word "grass".). Thank goodness for the blessings of ranch dressing and insane amounts of cheese; I could somewhat drown out the nastiness of the lettuce with all that. Which probably totally defeated the purpose of eating the salad in the first place, but oh, well. At least I tried.

Two children at preschool today came in wearing two different shoes. EUREKA -- I'M CONTAGIOUS!!!!

SAT's on Oct 4th. Probably should find time to review math in the very near future.

5 comments:

Somnite said...

I have stinkin amounts of the college writing to do myself. Profs don't realize that I have other classes besides theirs.

You most certainly are contagious.

Yes, Thank God for Amy. I will continue to pray.

I have eaten a month solid on cafeteria food, and I can tell you that even though there is a death list (pork, fish, veggie lasagna, mexican corn soup, and the strange thing that they call pizza) it is possible to survive on "Alpha Food". I have been forced to eat salad several times myself.

Holly said...

Hey, you're welcome! :) I'm glad to hear it.

That bit about the littlies and the shoes made me laugh. And that's wonderful about your friend Amy.

But what? You're in college and you still have to think about the SAT? Why?

Edge said...

Yes, I'm curious about the SATs too. I'd eaten at my school's cafeteria a few times before I started this fall and knew i was in for a long haul...so I connived my way into a room with a kitchen. And when I do occasionally (read once a week, maybe) eat at the cafeteria, I make myself eat salad. With a lot of ranch.

Emily said...

Sing YAAAAY for ranch dressing!!!!


Ok, to clear up the college/SAT confusion: TECHNICALLY, I'm still in high school, but I'm enrolled in two area colleges through their dual enrollment programs, getting a head start on credits. I'm taking 4 college courses & 3 high school courses this semester. Egads!!

I'm still just 50 points away from my goal SAT score (which is 2150), so I'm taking them for the 3rd -- and hopefully FINAL! -- time in Oct. (A 2150 would guarantee me a full tuition scholarship to my top college choice!)

Anonymous said...

Am I so Totally wierd that I LIKE salad?? Anyway...WOW! Sounds like your keeping busy! I probably should've taken at least my PSAT this year, but I didn't. What are your top colleges (if you don't mind my asking...)?