Saturday

This Generation


"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young,
but set an example for the believers
in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."
--1 Timothy 4:12

This is one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE Bible verses EVER!!


This world is, whether we like to admit it or not, fond of the saying, "Children should be seen and not heard". (We're not allowed to vote, for one thing....) And, there are so many people out there who have told me that "someday" I'll make a difference. That I'll be someone extraordinary...when I grow up. That I have "bright future ahead" of me.

Well, I'm an incredibly impatient person. I don't want to wait until "someday" or "when I grow up" or "the future" to make a difference -- I want to do so NOW!! And that's where this Bible verse comes in. Paul isn't echoing the age old seen-at-not-heard attitude towards kids and teens. He's challenging it. He's saying, "Don't wait! You can live for God NOW!" Paul is, in affect, saying that we as teens are an important part of society; capable of great things, and that we shouldn't have to wait until we get older!

And Paul is absolutely right. We don't have to wait until we're 21 or 35 or 47 or however old we think we have to be to truly make a difference. We can start making a difference RIGHT NOW! We can write letters to congresspeople, make speeches, protest what we don't believe in, raise funds, go on mission trips; the possibilities are endless!

So...why wait??? We are capable of changing this world right now, just as we are. We can show the world that we as teens know what we're doing. We can live for God, spread His Word, and be living proof of what we believe in. "Set an example for the believers..."...That is Paul calling us to lead by example. We can set an example for everyone of every age by heeding His call and following His direction in our lives. God will use you; have no doubt about that -- He just needs to know You're ready and willing.

I was recently talking to an older woman at our church. She was telling me that "my generation is just messing everything up. It's going to be YOUR generation that comes in and saves this world from all the evil." Well, sure...that would be nice. But if we stand up and start being leaders RIGHT NOW, maybe by the time we inherit the earth, there won't be any evil left to save the world from. It's worth a try.

In our Sunday School class last week, my amazing youth leader posed the question: "Does your church treat the youth as though they are the leaders of tomorrow...or the leaders of today?" It was a great question, and it applies to all areas of life. Do you see yourself as a "leader of tomorrow" or a "leader of today"?

Are you ready to change the world? God's ready for you -- just tell Him, and listen to where He leads you!

2 comments:

Edge said...

Yep. Sometimes Paul baffles the heck out of me, but this verse is one of my faves. Why wait?

Emily said...

Haha! I know exactly what you mean about Paul being baffling! But so much of his writing and advice is so applicable to our lives today, which I love!