Tuesday

All Hail the Mighty Ketchup!

So today, in a desperate attempt to avoid English assignments and the multiple projects and essays I have due in the upcoming week or so, I resorted to reading the back of the ketchup bottle.

I've only recently started liking ketchup; like, say, the last four or five months or so. Prior to that, I HATED ketchup ALMOST as much as I hate mustard. But for whatever strange reason, I've suddenly started liking ketchup.

And it's a good thing, too!

I had a few startling realizations today during my ketchup-bottle-reading. First of all, ketchup is fat free. Yeah. Seriously. I mean, I'm far from being the world's heathiest eater or anything, but still. It's nice to learn that a food/condiment I LIKE, one that actually tastes GOOD, can be enjoyed without any guilt about extra calories.

Secondly, according to the nifty label on the back of the bottle, ketchup is full of lycopene, which I guess I already knew, somewhere deep down, because I knew tomatoes are full of lycopene and it really is just a logical conclusion. However, I didn't really know much about what lycopene WAS. So I found myself wondering, "What exactly IS lycopene, and what does it do? Oh, how I wish I could find out more!"

And, wonder of wonders, I found that as I kept reading, the label solved that problem for me: "Go to http://www.lycopene.org/ to find out more!" (Isn't it great when things just work out like that?! If only all questions in life were so easily answered.....!)

So, naturally, I did. And I found out that lycopene is an antioxident which may help strengthen your immune system, prevent diabetes, osteoporosis, skin aging AND has even been shown (in some studies) to lower your risk for heart disease and cancer!

So here's to ketchup! *applauds* Go get yourself some french fries or chicken nuggets or a nice cheeseburger and go heavy on the ketchup to celebrate this marvelous condiment!

5 comments:

Q said...

I was thoroughly enjoying my ketchup yesterday.

Edge said...

See, I"m one of those weird people who likes tomato sauce and ketchup, but can't eat tomatoes. So yay for ketchup! And tomato soup :p

Patrice said...

MY! Who knew Ketchup was so good for you?!

Somnite said...

You know how else life works out? I am at the library researching for a debate tomorrow on the benefits of herbal supplements. I looked up lycopene and found that it is in many of the herbal supplements that I have been defending and that I can now use lycopene and its effects in support. Thank you Mismatched!!!!!!

I only eat ketchup on burgers, hot dogs and Italian suasage.

Anonymous said...

I'm not generally a ketchup person, except of course on fries. But hmmm...I might start using it a bit more often! thanx for for the great facts!