Monday

It's an outrage! It's a scandal! It's....

*insert disgruntled snort here*

So, Anilee linked to this article in one of her recent posts. I read it, out of curiosity, and I definitely agree -- It's infuriating.

I would suggest you read the article for yourself, but in case you're like me, and rather short on time, and the idea of clicking on a link and reading an entire article makes you bite your lip and move on to the next post instead, then I'll summaraize for you:

The article, entitled Breaking Trust? talks about how many Twilight Series fans (who I'll refer to as the Refunders) have, after purchasing and reading the latest installment-- Breaking Dawn-- in its entirety, begun clamoring that the book was complete rubbish and that they should be able to return it to the publisher and get their money back.

Now, I read Breaking Dawn. Twilight is not my favorite series in the world (although I liked the first book; but New Moon was too melodramatic and Eclipse rather annoyed me), but I decided to read the fourth book because, quite frankly, you bloggers have been talking about it non-stop; and my friends' opinions were/are on every part of the spectrum -- some claim it's the most amazing book EVER; others that its so terrible that it should be burned.
So, curiosity got the best of me and I decided to read it and decide for myself.

And I can safely say that in my opinion, it's poorly written, has very little plot, is rambling and annoying, has some fairly disgusting and disturbing scenes, and overall was probably one of the worst books I've read recently. In fact, it's books like this that cause me to hate YA fiction to begin with.

On the idea that the book was rubbish and not worth buying, I would agree with the Refunders.
BUT, I would strongly disagree with the idea of returning the book to the publisher and getting a refund!

This is the real world, people. Wake up. Just because you buy something and it turns out to be different then you expected doesn't mean you can go running back to the store and give a sob story and get your money back. Hello?! Since when does purchasing something guarantee that you'll like it?!? Sometimes your purchases turn out to be garbage -- and it's precisely this; finding that you've just wasted your hard-earned money on something disappointing, that will teach you a lesson. Maybe NOW all those people who are vying for refunds will think a little harder or do a little more research before spending money on a book.

In the article, the author brings up the fact that some of the Refunders are saying that "returning" the book would send a strong message to the publisher and Stephenie Meyer that they shouldn't "profit from selling...badly-written, poorly-edited garbage".

Well, it's called freedom, folks. Stephenie Meyer or anybody else on the face of the earth can write anything they please --great, terrible, or anywhere in between -- and yes, a publisher has the right to accept it and publish it and even *gasp* profit from it! If YOU, the READER, think it's a waste of money, then it is YOU, the READER'S fault for wasting the money! Just because it, in your opinion, isn't what you wanted/expected/hoped for, that doesn't mean it's wrong. It just means you didn't like it. Tough break. Suck it up and move on!

OR, here's a novel idea (pun!) for all the Refunders -- if you're so upset about wasting your money on a book you didn't like, try getting the book out from the library. It's free, and if you hate it, you return it and never have to think about it again. If you like it, THEN you can go out and buy it! Sheesh!

....Oh, yeah.....And don't even get me started on all the times the author of this article alludes to the idea that teenagers are silly, overly-emotional dramatic nincompoops....*I* beg to differ! We're not all like that!

5 comments:

Q said...

I WHOLEHEARTEDLY agree.

Holly said...

I never buy books I haven't read. Am quietly cheering/gleefully sniggering at the novel idea.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I was angrier about the insinuation that teens can't be trusted because they're like too emotional and blah blah blah. I know a good book from a bad book, thank you very much.

Because I completely understand the "Return Breaking Dawn" campaign.

I'm not returning my copy of Breaking Dawn, but only because I've read it. The whole thing. If I only read the first two chapters and then skimmed through the rest, I might be tempted to return it and use that fourteen dollars on something more enjoyable. Returning a read book is like returning a worn shirt; besides, bookstores ask that the merchandise be unread. But hey, not everyone shares my sense of honesty.

I am sort of considering selling my copies of New Moon, Eclipse, and Breaking Dawn, but I'd probably miss them.

Anyway, why I understand the campaign:

I don't think anyone expected Breaking Dawn had the potential to be that bad. I think most of us expected the story to follow a certain path, which it didn't. More than that, it just wasn't well-written. Partially, it's Stephenie's fault; if she was feeling pressured, she should have asked for more time to write the book. Little, Brown probably would have given it to her. After all, she had to fight for Breaking Dawn in the first place; it wasn't part of the deal. And then because the book seems to need a lot more editing and does read like a fanfiction (some fanfictions are actually better)...I think a lot of people are beyond angry, both with Stephenie Meyer (especially things that she has said regarding the criticis) and with the publisher for letting Breaking Dawn be published as it. I think they want the publishing world to know that they're not going to accept trash from authors they know are capable of much more.

And speaking as a girl who values good writing above pretty much anything else when reading a book...I can say that I totally understand that. There's no reason for a horribly written book--especially one so hyped up and anticipated as Breaking Dawn was--to be published. It shouldn't be about the money, but it is, and I think that's why they want to return the book. It's not just because, "Oh, I didn't like this book, so I'll return it"; it's also a protest against what the publishing business has become.

anilee

Edge said...

WHAT??? You mean I can't RETURN it? Even though it's TRASH and I read the WHOLE THING?

Oops...being melodramatic :-) I have to agree with you - while I think the refunders are being silly, the author of the article didn't need to make it sound like all teenage female readers who read BD are whiny.

Andrew Clarke said...

I would love to hear your opinion of "Outcasts Of Skagaray". You can preview it before going any further, by reading the sample chapters on www.threeswans.com.au If you decide to read it, I'd be glad to know if you think the young characters and female characters are convincing. My blog is http://threeswans.blogspot.com if you feel like visiting. Best wishes whatever happens.