Sunday

End World Hunger

OK -- short and sweet tonight. I've started at least a half dozen "serious" posts over the last week, but haven't had time to finish any of them. Yet.

But for right now, here's an important post.

According to the United Nations, about 25,000 people die each day from hunger or hunger-related causes, most of them children.

We can make a difference.

Many of you have probably heard of this site already; I know I've been talking about it quite it a bit over the last few months. But I don't know that I've ever posted it on here.

Lately, I've become rather obsessive about ending world hunger. People laugh when I say this is one of my life's goals. Ok, so it's a big goal. But hey, you need big goals if you want to achieve great things, right?!

Please check out this site:

Help end world hunger

Make it a habit. Make it your homepage. Make it a goal to play for 10 minutes or 20 minutes or 1 minute every day.

If you haven't heard of it yet, listen up. FreeRice is, in a word, miraculous. It's a series of online vocabulary quizzes. There's no signing up; you don't need to make a username or give out your email or log in to play. Just click and you're ready to roll. It's a SMART vocabulary game, too; it tests you, automatically assigns you a level based on your performance and continues to adjust and refine the words it gives you so that you're constantly being challenged to learn new words without being discouraged. All of you high schoolers -- this is fantastic SAT prep. BELIEVE ME!!

And, the very best part? Every single time you get a word right, FreeRice donates 20 grains of rice to the United Nations World Hunger Relief program. In a few minutes you can donate a few hundred or even a few thousand grains of rice. Coupled with that of thousands of other players worldwide, the site has donated over 35 billion grains of rice since October 2007.


Ready to help?

... Play FreeRice often and spread the word

... Read more about FreeRice and how it's combating world hunger

... Join the ONE campaign to fight AIDS and extreme poverty

... Learn more at Poverty.com


I've been telling people for years now that I'm going to change the world. Want to help?

4 comments:

Q said...

Free Rice is actually pretty fun, too.

Unknown said...

Have you heard about the UN endpoverty2015 millennium campaign.?


http://www.orkut.co.in/Community.aspx?cmm=47234928

Emily said...

Thanks for the support & info, guys; I will check both sites out!!

Patrice said...

Yeah I love that site. I have it down to a fine art now!