Monday

Poetry Series: week 2

(Ah, yes; as you can all see I've made GREAT progress on the deciding-on-a-real-title-for-this-series front....)

Week 2! Here we go!

Cloak of Laughter
Abigail Cresson

I wear a cloak of laughter
Lest anyone should see
My dress of sorrow underneath
And stop to pity me.

I wear a cloak of laughter
Lest anyone should guess
That what is hid beneath it
Is less then happiness...

But, ah, what does it matter
To you who are so wise?
My cloak falls tattered at my feet
Before your tender eyes.

For cloaks to cover sorrow
Are meant for stranger-folk
One cannot hide away from friends
Beneath a laughing cloak.

Oh, futile cloak of laughter
How frail you are, and thin!
Love looks through you so easily
And sees the grief within.



I have fallen in love with this poem :) I discovered it in some ancient poetry anthology that I got from the library ages ago and I've loved it ever since!

I thought this poem was particularly fitting, at least for me, this week...I have a very, very, very dear friend who happens to be going through a rough time lately and dealing with a lot. She keeps trying to convince me that she's OK and that I don't need to worry about her, but I know that's not quite true. So, my dear, if you happen to be reading this right now, please just know that I love you and I'm here for you and you can let go of your "cloak" anytime, now.
And if you guys could say a prayer for her, that would be muchly appreciated. God will know who you mean. :)

1 comments:

Q said...

What a pretty poem! Best wishes for Grace and I will try to remember her in my prayers.