Monday

Poetry Series: Week 1

Hmmm. I've been thinking, lately....I've decided that I'm going to try posting a poem every Monday...I mean, seriously -- what better way to start out your week?! And it might not necessarily be an original poem; they could be well-known favorite poems or perhaps completely unknown poems by random obscure poets that just happen to jump out at me at the time...or maybe something in between. Who knows...I'm still in the brainstorming phase. I'm hoping, though, that this will help me post more regularly and keep things at least a tad bit more interesting around here...

I still need to come up with a name for this little series, though...ideas, anyone? Alliteration is fun but I've already ruled out "Meditative Mondays" (sounds too sleepy) and "Metaphorical Mondays" (has too many syllables) and there aren't any fantastic "p" adjectives to pair up with "poetry"...although, in my defense, it is rather close to midnight and there's a fantastic chance I'm just not thinking straight.

So, seeing as it's Monday (at least, it is if I post this within the next 19 minutes...!), here is the very first entry of...whatever it is that I'm going to name this series.

*ahem*

Sandcastle Promises

Sandcastle promises
Built on uncertain shore
Beautiful to look at
Yet good for nothing more.

Lacking a foundation,
Made up of tiny grains;
Bits of rock soon washed away
Until not a single one remains.

Hopes, once packed together
Now quickly fall apart
These sculptures have no meaning;
They’re momentary works of art.

Their existence is soon shattered
By waves of reality
All my sandcastle promises
Have eroded completely.

So have I based my life
On all the petty things?
Or do I live with purpose,
Does my life have meaning?

Do I believe all that I say,
Am I willing to take a stand?
Or am I simply building
Fragile castles in the sand?


Hmmm.. I was going to post my thoughts on this poem but I changed my mind. How about if YOU guys tell me what YOU think??

2 comments:

Q said...

I'm going to be exceptionally original and say: you are very right.

Somnite said...

*not what you are looking for* I had never really thought of a sandcastle as just a bunch of tiny random grains of sand. I always thought of sand as the one lump "thing", (not that I was unaware of the scientific fact of what sand is, just that when building castles with it you tend not to think of it that way.)

Prevenient Poetry? (look it up, it's in that book you gave me)

Perspicacious poetry? (again, look it up)