Wednesday

The Greatest Play Doh Recipe Ever

Ok, now seriously. How many of you still love to play with playdoh? Don't be shy, I know there's plenty of you out there....

I made a HUGE batch of playdoh for preschool yesterday, and it occurred to me that the recipe is fairly simple and playdoh is undoubtedly amazing, so it might be nice to share this amazing recipe with y'all. And don't think it's just us crazy preschool teachers that use it. I've made this playdoh on rainy days while babysitting and I've even incorporated it into Sunday School lessons! I'm telling you, this is one of those life-long bits of knowledge that everyone should just know.


The Greatest PlayDoh Recipe Ever

-- 2 cups flour
-- 1 cup salt
-- 2 cups water
-- 2 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
-- 4 tsp. cream of tartar

Mix ingredients together in large pot. Cook on medium, stirring occasionally, until think dough forms. Knead until smooth and add food coloring as desired!
I typically make a double batch, FYI.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay for homemade play doh!!! That actually turns out!

Every time I make playdoh it goes badly....I will try this one. There's always hope!

Anonymous said...

I began my Preschool teaching career thirty years ago with "The Easiest Play Doh Recipe Ever!"

It has NEVER FAILED me in my Preschool classroom, Motherhood, or in the Early Childhood Art Methods courses I taught to college teacher-ed majors...

1 cup of salt

2 cups of HOT water

4 cups of flour

Food coloring: Optional

Use a large clear bowl so that the children can see the scientific changes that can be observed...

Do the math...counting the number of cups of each ingredient...

Art can be incorporated by adding food coloring to the water...

Literacy incorporates by defining the words you use to discuss the scientific changes...

Step #1. Dissolve the salt into the water.

Step #2. (Optional) Add food coloring.

Step #3. Slowly add the flour by half cups while kneading until the dough is of a consistency that will not stick to your hands. Depending upon your Geographic Altitude, you may need to add flour to a stickier dough, or add less flour if the dough kneads quickly.

This dough can be kept refrigerated in a zipper plastic bag or lock top container, in the frig for as long as six weeks.
Lois K. Feibus

Anonymous said...

Bye the way...This play doh can be left to air-dry or can be baked dry, and once dry, can be molded and painted. The applications are endless...
Lois K. Feibus
http://theacademyforearlylearning.blogspot.com

Edge said...

Wow. That's some cool stuff. If I have a free weekend...:D

Holly said...

Ooh. I do love play-doh. I just pulled the lid of my laptop down a little to check that my can of white was still behind it. :D Perhaps I'll do this tomorrow!