Sunday

Savior, please

So, as you may have gathered from the last post, it's been an incredibly overwhelming weekend. Wonderful, certainly; there's been some amazing moments. But overwhelming for sure. Today I had a chance to spend some time with Very Best Friend in the Whole Entire Galaxy, and oh, how I needed that! Without fail, every moment I spend with her, whether it's curled up on the sofa watching a movie or in the middle of a noisy, smelly gym, she just refreshes my soul.

It's funny. All weekend as I was doing everything for everyone I kept telling myself, "You're fine! You're going to love this! It'll be great!". And I thought I was doing a pretty good job keeping up the act, you know? The I'm-not-tired, I-really-do-want-to-be-here, life-is-good act. I'm sure you're all familiar with it.

And this is why she is my Very Best Friend in the Whole Entire Galaxy. Because my "act" didn't fool her for a nanosecond. She knew something was wrong and she even guessed most of the stuff that was upsetting me before I even said one word. So after somewhat of a meltdown, I was feeling marginally better about life, but she helped me realize that a big part of my problem is a lack of faith. I'm in a scary transitional time of my life right now, and faith is more vital than ever before if I have any hope of navigating this. And yet, why is it that in the moments when you most need your faith, it's easiest to forget about the concept of "trust"? Why is it so easy to lose sight of God in the moments when you should be most focused on him?

As I drove home, I was praying that God would take my angry, scared, doubtful heart and replace with the peace and faith and trust I was so desperately in need of. And this song came on the radio, and I know it was the answer to my prayer:

Savior, Please by Josh Wilson


Savior, please take my hand
I work so hard, I live so fast
This life begins, and then it ends
And I do the best that I can, but I don't know how long I'll last

I try to be so tough
But I'm just not strong enough
I can't do this alone, God I need You to hold on to me
I try to be good enough
But I'm nothing without Your love
Savior, please keep saving me

Savior, please help me stand
I fall so hard, I fade so fast
Will You begin right where I end
And be the God of all I am because You're all I have

Hallelujah
Everything You are to me
Is everything I'll ever need
And I am learning to believe
That I don't have to prove a thing
'Cause You're the one who's saving me

And though it might sound completely corny, these words just spoke to my heart, echoing all the words Very Best Friend had said earlier, and it was an amazing experience.
Oh, the goosebumps and the tears!

Anyway, I just pray that if you're in this place right now -- this overwhelming, trying so hard to measure up and be all things to all people and prove things to the world, that this song will encourage you and bring peace to you.

4 comments:

Lady Brainsample said...

Have you ever heard Praise You in This Storm by Casting Crowns? That song is incredible...

Q said...

We sang a hymn in church today that may also offer comfort; here is the first verse:

Lead, kindly Light
amidst th'encircling gloom
Lead Thou me on!
Keep Thou my feet;
I do not ask to see
The distant scene--
One step enough for me!

Emily said...

Lady B:
Oh, my, goodness. Casting Crowns is one of my all time favorite groups. Praise You In This Storm has to be one of the most haunting and powerful songs I've ever heard in my life. Honestly? It makes me cry when I listen to it. (Many of Casting Crown's songs do, though!)

Q: Thanks for sharing. I really like the end: "I do not ask to see/The distant scene -- One step enough for me!". That's so important for me to remember!!

Anonymous said...

Okay, that song gave me the goosebumps and tears too! I've never heard it before. It is so amazing to me how God uses simple little things like that to make the biggest differences. The right words from friends at the the right time, songs on the radio, blogs! Thanks mismatchedsockgirl!